Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Eggshell Calcium

Just wanted to write a blog post on how I make eggshell calcium. I think it's easy, it just takes some time.

First I rinse the egg shells in warm water. I make sure to keep the membrane though cause it's got some healthy stuff in it and it's worth eating it too.

Eggshell calcium

Then I put it in the oven together with whatever else I'm cooking/baking. I have tried all kinds of different temperatures and all seem to work, I just change the time I leave the shells in there to be as long as it takes to make them fully dried out. If they are soggy/wet at all they won't break easily when rolling them out, plus they could have bacteria on them.

Eggshell calcium

After the shells are fully dry, I simply roll them with a wood roller on a wood cutting board. They'll break easily like glass and I continue until the shell pieces are tiny gravel-like pieces.

Eggshell calcium

Then I keep them in a jar with a lid in a dry place, but not in the fridge.

Eggshell calcium

Finally, I move about 1/2 teaspoon of egg shells over into a smaller glass container, squeeze some fresh lemon over it, and let it stand in room temperature for 7 hours or more, but never longer than 12 hours since it will go bad. I stir is well and then it begins to bubble (and that's supposed to happen).

Eggshell calcium

I still chew it well before swallowing it, and the taste is quite good and refreshing. I've seen my teeth going from filled with black spots to now only having about 4 weak grey spots remaining. I do think that it's important to take magnesium with this though to promote the uptake of the calcium. When I take it without magnesium my teeth tend to stagnate, not get worse, but also not continue healing. However, that then necessitates taking a magnesium supplement, unless I can figure out another way to get a big does of magnesium?

I get less pain in my teeth when I don't soak it in lemon, but I figure it's best to follow the recipe online cause I'm not sure if soaking them helps the body take up the calcium or not:

http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/articles/how-to-make-calcium-using-egg-shells

There has been at least one study of egg shell calcium preventing osteoporosis.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15018022

As a side note:

I never had a single cavity in my life before starting low carb (part from the one I had in a milk tooth as a young child but that I dropped when the permanent tooth grew out). On low carb I developed many black spots in my teeth, together with that odd pain sensation in the teeth that I had also never experienced before. I don't know if they were actual cavities or not since I was too scared to go to the dentist. It would have crushed me to hear: "you've got 30 cavities in your teeth...." so I spared myself that experience. I am sure my current high carb diet will be protective for my teeth, however I've been so impressed with the egg shell calcium I have decided to continue it, especially since I don't tolerate any dairy at all. The last two months of low carb I had begun taking egg shell calcium and my teeth immediately began to heal, so despite the fact that I was demineralizing myself on the low carb diet, the egg shells helped protect me.

It is also worth noting that I took the recommended dosage of calcium citrate in capsules all three years on low carb but clearly that did nothing to protect my teeth.

My only issue now is that I'm not sure if this type of egg shell calcium could increase the risk of heart attack or not?
(see this article:
http://drurbannaturalhealingtools.blogspot.com/2010/07/calcium-supplements-may-raise-risk-of.html)

Apparently calcium supplements do increase the risk because it rises blood calcium levels, (as if I needed another reason to loathe supplements...lol....) but calcium found in food does not rise blood calcium levels. I'm not sure if egg shells would be classified as a food or as a supplement? I am not aware of any primitive people who ate egg shells, but I know the Eskimos chewed on, and ate fish bones. If anyone knows about this, please comment about it to let me know.

11 comments:

Matt Stone said...

Yeah, it's very important on low-carb to get in enough minerals. Mineral needs increase dramatically on low-carb with higher protein intake (typically) and much higher catecholamines. Both increase mineral excretion.

I wouldn't stress out too much about the egg shell calcium and heart disease or anything like that. It might be a problem if you were pounding Coca Cola with it, but you are not.

I do think you'll find your egg shell requirements going down as you increase carbs.

My teeth hurt like hell on low-carb and got instantly better upon increasing carbohydrate intake - even from white flour.

Lisa E said...

That's so interesting. I can't believe that low carb is sold to us all without this crucial information that mineral needs increase so much on it.

I so wish I had know then what I know today.

Good to know that it's safe enough to eat the egg shells. I hope to see all my teeth problems disappear over time.

Thanks as always Matt!

Riles said...

I have always left chunks of egg shell in my eggs that I make for breakfast. Sometimes there is close to half a shell. I just cook them up and eat.
Most people think I'm crazy for eating them but I actually like the texture. Although I am adding the acid I am sure I must be absorbing at least a little calcium. Good to know I may not be that crazy after all.

lt said...

I'm glad I stumbled upon this. I've been doing VLC and have enamel loss ...and maybe a few cavities?. Dunno if lack of minerals is the problem but I'll try this and see how it goes. However, my teeth were in their worst shape in elementary school, when I ate lots of candy, refined grains, high carb etc. Unfortunately, my upcoming (tomorrow) dentist appointment is mandatory :(

Lisa E said...

It:
Good luck at your dentist's appointment! Fingers crossed for you. I am also not sure if the added egg shell calcium is enough to heal from low carb damage to the teeth or not? I think it helps for sure, but I also think chewing on raw ginger can be helpful since it is an antiseptic, but ultimately I don't know what the solution is. I know of quite a few people who did low carb and who all got issues with their teeth like, cavities, acid damage, and slightly opaque color of the teeth.

Peter said...

Thank you so much for your information. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis, and my Dr. recommended
calcium and vitamin D.
May LOve shine on you.....Pete

Ste said...

Hi Lisa,

Just wondering if you are still taking the eggshell calcium? Any negative side effects like you mention on the heart?

Thanks

Steph said...

Hey, the calcium in egg shells is calcium carbonate. Yes it can build up in arteries but just take K-2 (supplement in a jar is best cause it doesn't occur very high in other forms.) and that will put the calcium where it needs to be. There are two forms of K-2. M-K 4 is good for getting calcium into the teeth and needs to be eaten 3 times a day for best results. It doesn't last as long in the body. M-K 7 last for a few days and it pulls calcium from the blood and puts it in the bones. Maybe supplement with both. You will want about 100 mcg a day if not more. Do some research.

Bakhrom Mananov said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lena said...

Egg shells do not raise calcium levels in the blood to upset the heart, according to Russian research.
All pediatric doctors in Russian suggest egg shell supplementation for children and adults to prevent carries.

Brittany Brines said...

Hi, I have a question. How long did it take before you started noticing the healing affects of the eggshells? I have started doing it today and was wondering how long before I should expect to notice a difference?